ARTBA-Foundation hosts 17th annual Young Executive Development Program; 34 graduates advocate for passage of highway/transit bill
Thirty-four transportation design and construction industry “rising stars” came to the Nation’s Capital May 29-June 1 to participate in the American Road & Transportation Builders Association Transportation Development Foundation (ARTBA-TDF) 17th annual Young Executive Development Program (YEDP). The intensive, three-day program focuses on the impact the federal government has on the industry and the role ARTBA plays in shaping national transportation policy.
The YEDP program included sessions on the federal legislative and regulatory processes, highway/transit financing, economics, environmental issues, public-private partnerships and industry innovation. Participants heard from industry leaders such as Kathy Ruffalo, government affairs consultant and a former commissioner of the National Surface Transportation Infrastructure Financing Commission on future challenges to the nation’s infrastructure, and Steve Wright, president, Wright Brothers Construction Company, Inc., on leadership and business issues. YEDP participants also visited the Federal Highway Administration’s Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center.
The program was held in conjunction with the association’s annual Federal Issues Program so that YEDP fellows could meet with their congressional representatives to urge them to complete action on the nearly three-year overdue surface transportation program reauthorization.
The 2012 YEDP fellows were the following:
- Robert Allen, structural engineer, HDR Engineering, New York, N.Y.
- German Arenes, associate & office manager, Ammann & Whitney, Miami, Fla.
- Holly Arnold, transportation analyst, CH2M HILL, Baltimore, Md.
- Andrew Bazil, lead engineer, Parsons Brinckerhoff, New York, N.Y.
- Melisa Bittancourt, lead engineer, Parsons Brinckerhoff, Sacremento, Calif.
- Christy Cahalan, business development manager, Alabama highway practice leader, AECOM, Birmingham, Ala.
- Emily Cohen, director of government relations, United Contractors, San Ramon, Calif.
- Jason Duss, project manager, Hoffman Construction Company, Black River Falls, Wis.
- Adler Eliacin, manager, supplier diversity and development, Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, Boston, Mass.
- Justin Englert, job engineer, CH2M HILL, Tyler, Texas
- Daveen Goodman, management analyst, Ohio Department of Transportation, Columbus, Ohio
- Ryan Hanke, transportation engineer, Ohio Department of Transportation, Sidney, Ohio
- Brian Hawk, general manager, Advantage Steel & Construction, Saxonburg, Pa.
- Jack Haynes, vice president, bridges, Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc., Jacksonville, Fla.
- Scott Haywood, chief of staff, Texas Department of Transportation, Austin, Texas
- John Kimberly, principal/regional manager, Nodarse & Associates, Jacksonville, Fla.
- Heather Kraus, senior project manager, Smith Seckman Reid, Inc., Memphis, Tenn.
- Chad LaRue, director of member services, Kentucky Association of Highway Contractors, Frankfort, Ky.
- Ben Ledsinger, senior design engineer, Smith Seckman Reid, Inc., Memphis, Tenn.
- Bridget Malinowski, deputy project manager, AECOM, Chicago, Ill.
- William Markovitz, marketing manager, 3M, St. Paul, Minn.
- Robert Matthews, manager, highway engineering, Gannett Fleming, South Plainfield, N.J.
- Clay McInnis, business development, McInnis Construction, Montgomery, Ala.
- Bob Prince, project manager III, AECOM, Roanoke, Va.
- Michael Quirin, project manager, Jacobs Engineering Group, Chicago, Ill.
- Joe Quitter, senior project manager, HNTB Corporation, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Brian Raff, marketing director, Chicago, Ill.
- Ted Saltzman, southwest regional sales, Avon, Conn.
- Chris Sandberg, associate project manager, PKF Mark III, Newton, Pa.
- Hugh Scott, regional engineer, Advanced Drainage Systems, Inc., North Billerica, Mass.
- Chris Simmons, vice president and COO, Simmons Erosion Control, Inc., Lake, Miss.
- Jennie Simmons, president, Simmons Erosion Control, Inc., Lake, Miss.
- Athreya, Sreenivasan, project manager/senior technologist, CH2M HILL, Chicago, Ill.
- Ellen White, marketing operations manager, 3M, St. Paul, Minn.