WTS International annual conference attendance increases by 25 percent
Amanda Bayhi | May 30, 2013
The 2013 conference, which took place May 15-17 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, broke several other other records: 40 percent of attendees were first-time participants, 30 percent more companies participated compared to last year and at least 20 of the more than 50 sponsors were new.
WTS International President and CEO Marcia Ferranto attributes the rise in attendance to the organization’s efforts to “attract, retain, and advance women” and “provide programs that focus on workforce development through the advancement of women.”
Ferranto added that workforce development, which strives to move women to senior positions within the industry, is also a driving force within WTS International.
She pointed to Transportation YOU as a top workforce development program. The USDOT-backed program provides hands-on challenges, informational sessions and mentorship programs run by individual WTS chapters.
“We need to generate awareness about this industry with young women and get them excited about the possibilities so they consider STEM studies (science, technology, engineering, and math)—now. There also needs to be an environment in the workplace that is considerate of the needs to working women that provides for career continuity,” Ferranto said.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Oklahoma DOT looks to Caltrans for bridge assessment advice362 Views
- PHOTOS, VIDEO: MoDOT employee finds a new way of transportation… skydiving348 Views
- 3 Ways to Avoid Heat-Related Illness296 Views
- Roundabouts And Intersections: Two Traffic Control Devices, Many Options289 Views
- CBO: Highway Trust Fund would shortfall under Obama's proposed budget228 Views