What? Another extension? Really?
John Latta | August 19, 2011
This will surprise no one.
Senator Barbara Boxer (D-Ca), chair of the Senate Environment and Public Works committee and therefore the key senator in any reauthorization legislation process, is setting up another extension for dear old SAFETEA-LU.
During Thursday’s call, according to AASHTO, Boxer told stakeholders that the four-month extension will be “clean,” meaning free of any policy changes. It would continue existing funding levels through January. The current levels have been frozen since Fiscal Year 2009, when the last multi-year federal surface transportation authorization law known quaintly as “SAFETEA-LU” expired.
And finally, says AASHTO, Boxer said that if revenue offsets not be agreed upon by the Sept. 8 markup, committee consideration of the two-year reauthorization bill could be postponed.
MORE FROM eRoadPro Newsletter
- VIDEO: Could ‘Beer Money’ help solve our infrastructure problem?488 Views
- Volvo partners with Lego Group284 Views
- Doosan launches Tier 4 Final non-DPF compact diesel engines160 Views
- Case rolls out Tier 4 Final wheel loaders158 Views
- DOT Chief Foxx points to $2.5 billion for transit in Obama’s proposed budget156 Views