What? Another extension? Really?
John Latta | August 19, 2011
This will surprise no one.
Senator Barbara Boxer (D-Ca), chair of the Senate Environment and Public Works committee and therefore the key senator in any reauthorization legislation process, is setting up another extension for dear old SAFETEA-LU.
During Thursday’s call, according to AASHTO, Boxer told stakeholders that the four-month extension will be “clean,” meaning free of any policy changes. It would continue existing funding levels through January. The current levels have been frozen since Fiscal Year 2009, when the last multi-year federal surface transportation authorization law known quaintly as “SAFETEA-LU” expired.
And finally, says AASHTO, Boxer said that if revenue offsets not be agreed upon by the Sept. 8 markup, committee consideration of the two-year reauthorization bill could be postponed.
MORE FROM eRoadPro Newsletter
- More states ban ET-Plus guardrail system471 Views
- Man survives excavator falling 60 feet from overpass200 Views
- S.C. highway construction worker killed in hit and run189 Views
- Bay Bridge construction project suspended after causing major traffic issues128 Views
- N.J. transportation commissioner calls for tax hike109 Views