What? Another extension? Really?
John Latta | August 19, 2011
This will surprise no one.
Senator Barbara Boxer (D-Ca), chair of the Senate Environment and Public Works committee and therefore the key senator in any reauthorization legislation process, is setting up another extension for dear old SAFETEA-LU.
During Thursday’s call, according to AASHTO, Boxer told stakeholders that the four-month extension will be “clean,” meaning free of any policy changes. It would continue existing funding levels through January. The current levels have been frozen since Fiscal Year 2009, when the last multi-year federal surface transportation authorization law known quaintly as “SAFETEA-LU” expired.
And finally, says AASHTO, Boxer said that if revenue offsets not be agreed upon by the Sept. 8 markup, committee consideration of the two-year reauthorization bill could be postponed.
MORE FROM eRoadPro Newsletter
- Oopsie! DOT forgets to spellcheck interstate sign2230 Views
- Road worker killed while picking up construction cones1301 Views
- The state with the best roads in the country is...946 Views
- Senate passes highway bill, vote sent back to house617 Views
- 3 tips for staying safe inside road construction work zones530 Views