What? Another extension? Really?
John Latta | August 19, 2011
This will surprise no one.
Senator Barbara Boxer (D-Ca), chair of the Senate Environment and Public Works committee and therefore the key senator in any reauthorization legislation process, is setting up another extension for dear old SAFETEA-LU.
During Thursday’s call, according to AASHTO, Boxer told stakeholders that the four-month extension will be “clean,” meaning free of any policy changes. It would continue existing funding levels through January. The current levels have been frozen since Fiscal Year 2009, when the last multi-year federal surface transportation authorization law known quaintly as “SAFETEA-LU” expired.
And finally, says AASHTO, Boxer said that if revenue offsets not be agreed upon by the Sept. 8 markup, committee consideration of the two-year reauthorization bill could be postponed.
MORE FROM eRoadPro Newsletter
- Congress passes spending bill; cuts billions from federal construction accounts544 Views
- Tappan Zee bridge construction shut down after silos collapse418 Views
- Last second Christmas gift ideas for highway and bridge construction workers96 Views
- Construction worker stops wrong way driver, avoids potential disaster92 Views
- Keep your laws off our ditches78 Views