Wanna hear something scary?
John Latta | August 17, 2011
According to Politico’s Ben Smith there is a little known upcoming event that is probably nothing to worry about.
Most of the gas tax is set to expire on September 30.
Actually all but 4.3 cents of the 18.4 cents is on the block. No it’s not part of reauthorization (the latest extension of that runs out the same day), the dates are a coincidence.
Renewing it should be a formality. No one expects any real effort to increase the tax, that’s a given. But what if some members of the House decide to try and lower it? Or even eliminate it?. Not a chance right? Just like raising the debt ceiling was routine as it had always been?
Consensus seems to be that there might be some fiery speeches but doing away with it is just not on. So routine renewal it should be. Probably. Check out Eric Jaffe’s take in The Infrastructurist
MORE FROM eRoadPro Newsletter
- 5 freeway bridges in need of repair following accident976 Views
- 4 dead after semi hits stopped vehicles970 Views
- Several deficiencies exposed in Skagit River Bridge collapse710 Views
- VIDEO: Massive steel beam falls off trailer, snatches semi truck onto its side564 Views
- President Obama to urge for private investments304 Views