Wanna hear something scary?
John Latta | August 17, 2011
According to Politico’s Ben Smith there is a little known upcoming event that is probably nothing to worry about.
Most of the gas tax is set to expire on September 30.
Actually all but 4.3 cents of the 18.4 cents is on the block. No it’s not part of reauthorization (the latest extension of that runs out the same day), the dates are a coincidence.
Renewing it should be a formality. No one expects any real effort to increase the tax, that’s a given. But what if some members of the House decide to try and lower it? Or even eliminate it?. Not a chance right? Just like raising the debt ceiling was routine as it had always been?
Consensus seems to be that there might be some fiery speeches but doing away with it is just not on. So routine renewal it should be. Probably. Check out Eric Jaffe’s take in The Infrastructurist
MORE FROM eRoadPro Newsletter
- VIDEOS: Michigan DOT debunks transportation myths with ‘Reality Check’ series788 Views
- VIDEO: Could ‘Beer Money’ help solve our infrastructure problem?503 Views
- Volvo partners with Lego Group349 Views
- Doosan launches Tier 4 Final non-DPF compact diesel engines175 Views
- DOT Chief Foxx points to $2.5 billion for transit in Obama’s proposed budget159 Views