Wanna hear something scary?
John Latta | August 17, 2011
According to Politico’s Ben Smith there is a little known upcoming event that is probably nothing to worry about.
Most of the gas tax is set to expire on September 30.
Actually all but 4.3 cents of the 18.4 cents is on the block. No it’s not part of reauthorization (the latest extension of that runs out the same day), the dates are a coincidence.
Renewing it should be a formality. No one expects any real effort to increase the tax, that’s a given. But what if some members of the House decide to try and lower it? Or even eliminate it?. Not a chance right? Just like raising the debt ceiling was routine as it had always been?
Consensus seems to be that there might be some fiery speeches but doing away with it is just not on. So routine renewal it should be. Probably. Check out Eric Jaffe’s take in The Infrastructurist
MORE FROM eRoadPro Newsletter
- Think you're a good driver? Try staying in these crooked lanes [VIDEO]915 Views
- Vehicles covered in oil and grime after construction project gone wrong840 Views
- How to avoid highway work zone injuries and deaths745 Views
- Turn Around! FDOT seeking ways to alert wrong-way drivers633 Views
- VIDEO: Semi hauling an excavator plows through a guardhouse while pulling onto college campus422 Views