Wanna hear something scary?
John Latta | August 17, 2011
According to Politico’s Ben Smith there is a little known upcoming event that is probably nothing to worry about.
Most of the gas tax is set to expire on September 30.
Actually all but 4.3 cents of the 18.4 cents is on the block. No it’s not part of reauthorization (the latest extension of that runs out the same day), the dates are a coincidence.
Renewing it should be a formality. No one expects any real effort to increase the tax, that’s a given. But what if some members of the House decide to try and lower it? Or even eliminate it?. Not a chance right? Just like raising the debt ceiling was routine as it had always been?
Consensus seems to be that there might be some fiery speeches but doing away with it is just not on. So routine renewal it should be. Probably. Check out Eric Jaffe’s take in The Infrastructurist
MORE FROM eRoadPro Newsletter
- Firearms to be used for road construction800 Views
- Highway Trust Fund 2014: Timeline of Events698 Views
- POLL: Majority of Americans would rather pay tolls than taxes619 Views
- How two men avoided travel fees by outsmarting airlines577 Views
- VIDEO: Worker dangles from excavator hammer 100 feet up481 Views