Virginia receives $18.9 million in safety grants to reduce traffic deaths, injuries
Tina Grady Barbaccia | November 27, 2011
The funds are allocated to Virginia from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and administered by the DMV. Grant recipients are local, non-profit and state organizations that strive to reduce the number of traffic deaths and injuries on Virginia’s roadways.
Traffic safety programs receiving grant funds work toward the following:
- Increasing safety belt and child safety seat usage,
- Deterring impaired, aggressive and distracted driving,
- Lowering motorcycle, bicycle and pedestrian injuries and fatalities, and
- Promoting awareness of risks for teen and senior drivers.
The Virginia Board of Transportation Safety made recommendations regarding the grant awards, and the Highway Safety Office will work with the grant recipients to ensure progress toward the goals of the state’s safety grants program.
Twenty-nine percent of the $18.9 million is being awarded to localities, 18 percent to non-profit organizations, 47 percent to state agencies and 6 percent to higher education entities. “We see evidence every day that grant-funded programs work toward preventing tragedies on our roadways,” said DMV Commissioner Richard D. Holcomb, the Governor’s Highway Safety Representative, in a written statement from the Virginia State News Service. “Still, it’s every Virginian’s responsibility to buckle up, to pay attention and resist picking up our cell phones, to obey the speed limit and drive sober.”
added in the statement, “Since Virginia is investing nearly $4 billion in its transportation network, funding more than 900 projects during the next three years, motorists will see record numbers of road improvement projects under way. When you see road construction this winter and during the next few years, remember to slow down, drive alert and be patient. Virginia is doing its part for highway safety; please do yours.”
For a list of federal Transportation Safety Grant recipients in Virginia, click here.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Secret Cold War bunker found inside Brooklyn Bridge (PHOTOS)2205 Views
- Most common work-related deaths for highway and bridge construction workers1271 Views
- DOT loans $950 million to Florida highway project543 Views
- Tolling becoming the solution of choice for most Americans479 Views
- California drivers paying the price for deficient roads and bridges 309 Views