Virginia governor signs transportation bill into effect
Amanda Bayhi | May 14, 2013
Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell on Monday signed the state’s transportation bill into effect, CBS DC reported.
The Road to the Future bill will enable sweeping, long-term funding for Virginia highway repairs and maintenance.
It will replace the state’s 17.5 cent per gallon retail gas tax with a 3.5-percent wholesale tax on gasoline and a 6-percent tax on diesel fuel. It also raises the statewide sales tax from 5 percent to 5.3 percent, and it increases the titling tax on car sales.
The bill, which rejects a toll on Interstate 95, was approved on the final day of the 2013 session of the General Assembly.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Road worker killed while picking up construction cones1068 Views
- 4 dead after semi hits stopped vehicles1032 Views
- Several deficiencies exposed in Skagit River Bridge collapse737 Views
- 3 tips for staying safe inside road construction work zones457 Views
- Can you believe how much bad roads cost Texas drivers?310 Views