Vermont transportation budget bill includes new gas tax
Amanda Bayhi | May 1, 2013
On Monday, Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin signed the state’s transportation budget bill, which includes a new gas tax, Burlington Free Press reported.
The new tax goes into effect today.
The new gas tax is a 5.9-cents-per-gallon increase, which includes a 2-percent assessment on the price of gas and a 0.8-cent decrease on the per-gallon tax.
According to the news site, state officials made the switch to a percentage tax to increase revenues for road and infrastructure maintenance despite reduced gas use.
Diesel prices are scheduled for a 2-cent increase July 1.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- 5 freeway bridges in need of repair following accident897 Views
- What state has the worst roads and bridges in the country?559 Views
- VIDEO: With streaking flash of explosives, mile-long bridge collapses in 3 seconds541 Views
- VIDEO: Massive steel beam falls off trailer, snatches semi truck onto its side484 Views
- 70-foot-long bridge survives series of earthquakes450 Views