Vermont transportation budget bill includes new gas tax
Amanda Bayhi | May 1, 2013
On Monday, Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin signed the state’s transportation budget bill, which includes a new gas tax, Burlington Free Press reported.
The new tax goes into effect today.
The new gas tax is a 5.9-cents-per-gallon increase, which includes a 2-percent assessment on the price of gas and a 0.8-cent decrease on the per-gallon tax.
According to the news site, state officials made the switch to a percentage tax to increase revenues for road and infrastructure maintenance despite reduced gas use.
Diesel prices are scheduled for a 2-cent increase July 1.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Vehicles covered in oil and grime after construction project gone wrong963 Views
- Think you're a good driver? Try staying in these crooked lanes [VIDEO]950 Views
- Homeless forced to relocate due to bridge construction398 Views
- A road without fibers is a road soon to be in need of repair382 Views
- How to become a more productive highway construction worker341 Views