U.S. 60/62 bridge to reopen
The U.S. 60/62 bridge over the Mississippi River at Cairo, Ill., will reopen Tuesday, March 6, after being closed since January 2011.
The bridge connecting Missouri was closed to repair badly deteriorated deck beams, the Illinois Department of Transportation said. The bridge was closed earlier than expected because of continued non-compliance by truck operators over 15-ton weight restrictions, IDOT said. The reopened bridge will have a GVW of 80,000 pounds.
Before the almost mile-long bridge was closed, about 800 tractor-trailers crossed daily out of about 3,500 vehicles.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Rand Paul introduces bill to fund emergency transportation projects475 Views
- Sydney uses water curtains to alert drivers to stop (VIDEO)474 Views
- Tesla Model S earns top ratings from Consumer Reports428 Views
- Big four cellphone companies jointly launch anti-texting campaign261 Views
- Acceptance of connected vehicles depends on cost, LaHood says256 Views