U.S. 60/62 bridge to reopen
Overdrive Staff | March 2, 2012
The U.S. 60/62 bridge over the Mississippi River at Cairo, Ill., will reopen Tuesday, March 6, after being closed since January 2011.
The bridge connecting Missouri was closed to repair badly deteriorated deck beams, the Illinois Department of Transportation said. The bridge was closed earlier than expected because of continued non-compliance by truck operators over 15-ton weight restrictions, IDOT said. The reopened bridge will have a GVW of 80,000 pounds.
Before the almost mile-long bridge was closed, about 800 tractor-trailers crossed daily out of about 3,500 vehicles.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- 4 dead after semi hits stopped vehicles1053 Views
- Road worker killed while picking up construction cones1048 Views
- Several deficiencies exposed in Skagit River Bridge collapse734 Views
- 3 tips for staying safe inside road construction work zones518 Views
- Can you believe how much bad roads cost Texas drivers?326 Views