Two dead in Alabama bridge construction accident
Amanda Bayhi | January 8, 2014
Two construction workers were killed Wednesday in a bridge construction accident in Montgomery, Alabama, according to a report from WSFA 12 News.
The bridge construction site, located on Highway 80 East, is part of the Montgomery Outer Loop project, a portion of the I-85 extension project that will connect Interstate 65 in South Montgomery to Interstate 85.
The WSFA report states that the two victims, who both worked for Alabama-based R.R. Dawson Bridge Company, were on “a lift-type piece of equipment that hangs off the side of the bridge” while installing a piece of wood under a bracket. The lift is estimated to have fallen 90 feet.
Authorities have not determined the cause of the accident.
The Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) is expected to release a statement later Wednesday.
UPDATE: WSFA 12 News reports that work on the project has been suspended with no word on when it will restart.
ALDOT said in a statement late Wednesday that it ”extends sympathy to the families of the two… who were killed.”
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Vehicles covered in oil and grime after construction project gone wrong991 Views
- Think you're a good driver? Try staying in these crooked lanes [VIDEO]959 Views
- Homeless forced to relocate due to bridge construction461 Views
- A road without fibers is a road soon to be in need of repair439 Views
- How to become a more productive highway construction worker342 Views