Trespassing kills at railroad crossings
Good news on railroad crossing fatalities, with one exception: pedestrian trespassers.
While vehicle-train collisions and injuries at highway-rail grade crossings were lower across the U.S. in 2012, crossing-related fatalities were flat and rail trespass deaths and injuries rose from 2011, according to Operation Lifesaver. “We are gratified with the continued improvement in highway-rail grade crossing collisions, but educating a distracted public in order to reduce trespassing injuries and fatalities continues to be a challenge,” said Operation Lifesaver President and CEO Joyce Rose.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Rand Paul introduces bill to fund emergency transportation projects470 Views
- Sydney uses water curtains to alert drivers to stop (VIDEO)465 Views
- Tesla Model S earns top ratings from Consumer Reports435 Views
- Big four cellphone companies jointly launch anti-texting campaign260 Views
- Acceptance of connected vehicles depends on cost, LaHood says252 Views