Transportation sector gains 12,000 jobs in August
Amanda Bayhi | September 6, 2013
Transportation employment grew by 12,000 jobs to 4,463,500 in August, according to a report from The Hill.
The figures come from statistics released Friday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), which showed that the transportation sector’s growth joins gains of 160,000 jobs in the U.S. economy. Additionally, unemployment was down 7.3 percent.
Transit and ground transportation experienced the highest number of gains, growing from 446,200 jobs in July to 453,800 jobs in August — an increase of 7,600 jobs.
Aviation saw the highest number of losses, dropping from 444,300 jobs in July to 442,700 jobs in August.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- 5 freeway bridges in need of repair following accident953 Views
- VIDEO: Massive steel beam falls off trailer, snatches semi truck onto its side537 Views
- What state has the worst roads and bridges in the country?504 Views
- 70-foot-long bridge survives series of earthquakes437 Views
- Traffic deaths down nearly 23 percent since 2005360 Views