Transportation sector gains 12,000 jobs in August
Amanda Bayhi | September 6, 2013
Transportation employment grew by 12,000 jobs to 4,463,500 in August, according to a report from The Hill.
The figures come from statistics released Friday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), which showed that the transportation sector’s growth joins gains of 160,000 jobs in the U.S. economy. Additionally, unemployment was down 7.3 percent.
Transit and ground transportation experienced the highest number of gains, growing from 446,200 jobs in July to 453,800 jobs in August — an increase of 7,600 jobs.
Aviation saw the highest number of losses, dropping from 444,300 jobs in July to 442,700 jobs in August.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Report: Just 6 Percent of 2013 federal-aid funding went into new roads & bridges369 Views
- Highway Trust Fund: Who’s in and who’s out in next Congress253 Views
- One killed, four injured after bridge collapses at college242 Views
- Tracked electric vehicles the future of transportation?200 Views
- Rollover accident caused from surprise gravel road133 Views