Transportation sector gains 12,000 jobs in August
Amanda Bayhi | September 6, 2013
Transportation employment grew by 12,000 jobs to 4,463,500 in August, according to a report from The Hill.
The figures come from statistics released Friday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), which showed that the transportation sector’s growth joins gains of 160,000 jobs in the U.S. economy. Additionally, unemployment was down 7.3 percent.
Transit and ground transportation experienced the highest number of gains, growing from 446,200 jobs in July to 453,800 jobs in August — an increase of 7,600 jobs.
Aviation saw the highest number of losses, dropping from 444,300 jobs in July to 442,700 jobs in August.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- 5 Options for Avoiding Highway Trust Fund Insolvency544 Views
- VIDEO: Watch these crews slide a half-mile, 30 million-pound bridge into place over the Ohio River407 Views
- Boxer outlines Senate priorities for long-term surface transportation bill392 Views
- Foxx: Insolvent transportation system could cost 700k jobs391 Views
- U.S. DOT predicts August shortfall in latest Highway Trust Fund Ticker update321 Views