Transportation engineering prof Chandra R. Bhat named ARTBA S.S. Steinberg Award
Chandra R. Bhat, Ph.D., the Adan Abou-Ayyash centennial professor in transportation engineering at the University of Texas at Austin is the 2009 recipient of the American Road & Transportation Builders Association S.S. Steinberg Award
The award, named after the founding president of the ARTBA Research & Education Division (RED), recognizes an individual who has made remarkable contributions to transportation education. It was presented January 11 during the RED annual meeting, held in Washington, D.C.
Bhat was honored by industry peers in recognition of his extensive career accomplishments.
He is a nationally-recognized expert on travel demand modeling and travel behavior analysis. Bhat has conducted extensive research and written on land-use and travel demand modeling, evaluation of transportation control policy and congestion pricing, the use of non-motorized travel modes and physical health and transportation.
His research has been supported by funding from the National Science Foundation, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, National Institute of Statistical Sciences, various state departments of transportation, the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Bhat has been a civil engineering professor since 1991 and a member of the University of Texas at Austin faculty since 1997.
MORE FROM Industry
- Proposed bill would raise federal gas tax by $0.15 for highway funding555 Views
- VIDEO: This concrete buffer is nearly unstoppable391 Views
- PHOTOS: Chevy unveils 2015 Colorado pickup, available fall 2014339 Views
- With lack of transportation funding, highway contractors shift to other fields275 Views
- 25 Days of RollOuts: Cat Introduces Four New D Series Skid Steers269 Views