T&I's Mica: 'I will agree to one highway extension'
Tina Grady Barbaccia | August 31, 2011
Transportation and Infrastructure (T&I) Committee Chairman John L. Mica (R-Fla.) released the following statement in response to the President’s call for a clean extension of U.S. surface transportation legislation:
“In the interest of getting Americans back to work and moving vital transportation legislation, Republicans are committed to working with the President and Congressional Democrats,” Mica said.
“During their control, they neglected aviation legislation for more than four years and left major transportation legislation in the ditch for more than a year.
“Republicans have offered positive and financially responsible alternatives to get these measures moving,” Mica continued in his statement. “As Chairman of the House Transportation Committee, I will agree to one additional highway program extension, this being the eighth of the overdue transportation reauthorization.
“I am returning to Washington to also consult with our Republican leadership before granting the 22nd FAA extension,” Mica concluded.
MORE FROM Economics
- Secret Cold War bunker found inside Brooklyn Bridge (PHOTOS)2225 Views
- Most common work-related deaths for highway and bridge construction workers1275 Views
- DOT loans $950 million to Florida highway project544 Views
- Tolling becoming the solution of choice for most Americans489 Views
- California drivers paying the price for deficient roads and bridges 311 Views