T&I's Mica: 'I will agree to one highway extension'
Tina Grady Barbaccia | August 31, 2011
Transportation and Infrastructure (T&I) Committee Chairman John L. Mica (R-Fla.) released the following statement in response to the President’s call for a clean extension of U.S. surface transportation legislation:
“In the interest of getting Americans back to work and moving vital transportation legislation, Republicans are committed to working with the President and Congressional Democrats,” Mica said.
“During their control, they neglected aviation legislation for more than four years and left major transportation legislation in the ditch for more than a year.
“Republicans have offered positive and financially responsible alternatives to get these measures moving,” Mica continued in his statement. “As Chairman of the House Transportation Committee, I will agree to one additional highway program extension, this being the eighth of the overdue transportation reauthorization.
“I am returning to Washington to also consult with our Republican leadership before granting the 22nd FAA extension,” Mica concluded.
MORE FROM Economics
- No charges filed after woman kills construction worker273 Views
- Boehner discusses Highway Trust Fund on 60 Minutes155 Views
- Ohio worker’s death creates urgency on inspecting NJ bridges126 Views
- Cincinnati bridge collapse kills construction worker, injures truck driver124 Views
- Fingers crossed: Senate highway bill could be unveiled soon119 Views