The Stan Span
John Latta | May 3, 2013
Will Stan the Man become Stan the Bridge?
Illinois and Missouri are disagreeing over what to call a new bridge over the Mississippi River at St. Louis, the region’s first span across the river in more than four decades.
The Missouri folk want to name it after the greatest of all of baseball’s Cardinals, Stan Musial, and in Illinois the vote is for Veteran’s Memorial Bridge.
As compromisers point out, this may not be that difficult. After all, the three-time MVP, seven-time batting champ, Hall of Famer and Presidential Medal of Freedom-winner Musial was also a Navy veteran from World War II.
But compromise, also known as diplomacy, may have to wait a while. Work on this bridge was delayed for quite some time as the two states bickered. This could get interesting.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- VIDEO: CBS’s '60 Minutes' spotlights America's neglected infrastructure223 Views
- Texas leads U.S. equipment purchases in Q3, sales down 19 percent from 201392 Views
- California, Florida DOTs named winners of America's Transportation Awards83 Views
- Obama names new highway safety chief82 Views
- What causes the most damage to our nation’s bridges?82 Views