The Golden State or the Traffic State?
Lauren Heartsill Dowdle | August 28, 2013
California has the three busiest interstates in the country, according to new Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) findings. People drove nearly 85 billion miles on California interstates in 2011, with the I-5 being the busiest.
Even the second-place state, Texas, is 30 billion miles behind Cali.
To give you a better idea of how many miles Californians are clocking each year, the state’s 85 billion miles is “more than 900 times the distance from Earth to the Sun,” the report states.
You can check out how many miles were traveled in your state by checking out the FHWA report. In my state of Alabama, we had 13 billion miles traveled in 2011.
I guess we could only make it to the sun 140 times. Luckily, it’s warm enough here that I wouldn’t want to get any closer.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- Road worker killed while picking up construction cones1232 Views
- 4 dead after semi hits stopped vehicles1048 Views
- The state with the best roads in the country is...762 Views
- Several deficiencies exposed in Skagit River Bridge collapse750 Views
- 3 tips for staying safe inside road construction work zones516 Views