Tennessee DOT launches SmartWay mobile app
Tina Grady Barbaccia | January 2, 2013
Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) has launched the TDOT SmartWay Mobile App, which helps drivers navigate Tennessee highways and provides up-to-the-minute customized traffic information. The TDOT SmartWay App is free and available for download in the Apple App Store and Play Store for Android.
“We are excited to be able to provide this tool for motorists, especially on the eve of one of the busiest travel days of the year,” said TDOT Commissioner John Schroer. “The features we’re providing can help travelers avoid congestion and have a safer drive to their holiday destinations.”
The home screen for the TDOT SmartWay App is a map, which will locate your current position. Users will see icons on the left hand side of the map for traffic speeds, incidents, cameras, road construction, road conditions, and dynamic message signs. Map views can be customized by simply clicking on those icons.
The bottom of the screen shows the TDOT SmartWay App’s other features:
- Near Me – Allows users to see traffic incidents, construction, and road conditions near their current location.
- Notifications – Allows users to set up customized alerts about traffic incidents, construction, and road conditions. Alerts can be set up either by start and end point, or by choosing the county and route. Users can select the time frame to receive notifications, and create multiple notifications.
- Favorites – From the map screen, users can select a camera, and click “Add to Favorites.” Once selected favorites have been added, users will have the ability to scroll through to see real-time images of their route.
The TDOT SmartWay App was developed by NIC, the state’s chosen eGovernment portal vendor. NIC will provide user support for the application. The Help Desk can be reached 24 hours a day by calling 615-313-0300 or 1-866-8TN-EGOV. For more information, please visit http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/tdotsmartway/mobile.htm.
TDOT asks motorists to use the TDOT SmartWay App responsibly. Drivers should “know before you go!” by checking traffic conditions
MORE FROM eRoadPro Newsletter
- Congress passes spending bill; cuts billions from federal construction accounts555 Views
- Maintaining America’s most historic tourist routes530 Views
- Tappan Zee bridge construction shut down after silos collapse489 Views
- Last second Christmas gift ideas for highway and bridge construction workers138 Views
- With no plans to raise gas tax, Alabama will rely on 2015 bond issue for road projects75 Views