Sen. Boxer, Rep. Shuster, Transportation Secretary Foxx to talk Highway Trust Fund at AASHTO Briefing
Amanda Bayhi | February 20, 2014
Senate Environment and Public Works Committee Chairman Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman Bill Shuster (R-Pa.) and Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx are slated to speak at an event next week hosted by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials’ (AASHTO).
The three-day event, AASHTO’s annual Washington Briefing, will address transportation issues such as the Highway Trust Fund’s (HTF) threat of insolvency.
The HTF, which funds the majority of state and local projects, is expected to run out of funds by October 1. A new highway funding bill could offer other funding options. The current bill, “Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century” (MAP-21), expires in September.
In addition to Boxer, Shuster and Foxx, a number of other transportation experts will speak at the event.
Other speakers include representatives from the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association (IBTTA), National Association of Manufacturers (NAM), Federal Rail Administration (FRA), Federal Transit Administration (FTA), Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Maritime Administration.
The briefing will be held on Capitol Hill Feb. 25-28.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- VIDEO: Watch these crews slide a half-mile, 30 million-pound bridge into place over the Ohio River465 Views
- What the latest Obamacare update means for your business377 Views
- PHOTOS, VIDEO: MoDOT employee finds a new way of transportation… skydiving344 Views
- Oklahoma DOT looks to Caltrans for bridge assessment advice320 Views
- 3 Ways to Avoid Heat-Related Illness285 Views