Proper Placement of Breakdown Compactors
by Dale Starry, director of strategic technologies, Volvo Construction Equipment
There is debate about how closely behind the paver the breakdown compactor should roll during hot-mix asphalt (HMA) laydown.
Some industry experts suggest the breakdown compactor needs to nearly bump the paver to take full advantage of the reduced mix viscosity with the HMA pavement at its hottest temperature. These experts believe that optimum achievement of target density cannot take place if the breakdown compactor is too far back in the rolling zone from the paver.
MORE FROM Industry
- PHOTOS: Chevy unveils 2015 Colorado pickup, available fall 2014554 Views
- With lack of transportation funding, highway contractors shift to other fields275 Views
- 25 Days of RollOuts: Cat Introduces Four New D Series Skid Steers269 Views
- Construction industry avoids list of 10 worst jobs for the future267 Views
- Ford starts production of F-150 with CNG254 Views