Proper Placement of Breakdown Compactors
Tina Grady Barbaccia | November 17, 2009
by Dale Starry, director of strategic technologies, Volvo Construction Equipment
There is debate about how closely behind the paver the breakdown compactor should roll during hot-mix asphalt (HMA) laydown.
Some industry experts suggest the breakdown compactor needs to nearly bump the paver to take full advantage of the reduced mix viscosity with the HMA pavement at its hottest temperature. These experts believe that optimum achievement of target density cannot take place if the breakdown compactor is too far back in the rolling zone from the paver.
MORE FROM Industry
- Highway Trust Fund: Who’s in and who’s out in next Congress228 Views
- Tracked electric vehicles the future of transportation?210 Views
- VIDEO: CBS’s '60 Minutes' spotlights America's neglected infrastructure205 Views
- Rollover accident caused from surprise gravel road138 Views
- Don't drink and drive...especially your wheel loader!114 Views