Proper Placement of Breakdown Compactors
Tina Grady Barbaccia | November 17, 2009
by Dale Starry, director of strategic technologies, Volvo Construction Equipment
There is debate about how closely behind the paver the breakdown compactor should roll during hot-mix asphalt (HMA) laydown.
Some industry experts suggest the breakdown compactor needs to nearly bump the paver to take full advantage of the reduced mix viscosity with the HMA pavement at its hottest temperature. These experts believe that optimum achievement of target density cannot take place if the breakdown compactor is too far back in the rolling zone from the paver.
MORE FROM Industry
- Secret Cold War bunker found inside Brooklyn Bridge (PHOTOS)2210 Views
- Wrongly fired DOT employees return to work1367 Views
- Highway users, road builders oppose bill to surrender federal highway authority777 Views
- New use of carbon fiber grid in precast concrete piles689 Views
- Tolling becoming the solution of choice for most Americans516 Views