Proper Placement of Breakdown Compactors
Tina Grady Barbaccia | November 17, 2009
by Dale Starry, director of strategic technologies, Volvo Construction Equipment
There is debate about how closely behind the paver the breakdown compactor should roll during hot-mix asphalt (HMA) laydown.
Some industry experts suggest the breakdown compactor needs to nearly bump the paver to take full advantage of the reduced mix viscosity with the HMA pavement at its hottest temperature. These experts believe that optimum achievement of target density cannot take place if the breakdown compactor is too far back in the rolling zone from the paver.
MORE FROM Industry
- 5 freeway bridges in need of repair following accident914 Views
- What state has the worst roads and bridges in the country?559 Views
- VIDEO: With streaking flash of explosives, mile-long bridge collapses in 3 seconds550 Views
- VIDEO: Massive steel beam falls off trailer, snatches semi truck onto its side497 Views
- 70-foot-long bridge survives series of earthquakes453 Views