Proper Placement of Breakdown Compactors
Tina Grady Barbaccia | November 17, 2009
by Dale Starry, director of strategic technologies, Volvo Construction Equipment
There is debate about how closely behind the paver the breakdown compactor should roll during hot-mix asphalt (HMA) laydown.
Some industry experts suggest the breakdown compactor needs to nearly bump the paver to take full advantage of the reduced mix viscosity with the HMA pavement at its hottest temperature. These experts believe that optimum achievement of target density cannot take place if the breakdown compactor is too far back in the rolling zone from the paver.
MORE FROM Industry
- Several NMDOT employees fired following drunken party469 Views
- California to test feasibility of mileage tax313 Views
- Success regardless of gender: Kari Karst’s BX Civil & Construction209 Views
- MnDOT up a creek without a paddle due to mine expansion204 Views
- Highway and bridge construction starts on the rise in September167 Views