October Jobs Report: Hiring weak, unemployment high
Tina Grady Barbaccia | November 5, 2010
The jobs report for October is expected to show hiring weak and unemployment still high, and the outlook for 2011 is still pretty bleak, according to a report from the Associated Press (AP).
Economists expect the U.S.Department of Labor to report that employers added about 60,000 jobs in October, fewer than the 100,000 needed to keep pace with population growth — and far fewer than the 200,000 needed to start returning the 15 million unemployed Americans to work, the AP says in its report.
As a result, the unemployment rate is expected to remain 9.6 percent for a third straight month, according to the AP.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Think you're a good driver? Try staying in these crooked lanes [VIDEO]915 Views
- Vehicles covered in oil and grime after construction project gone wrong840 Views
- How to avoid highway work zone injuries and deaths745 Views
- Turn Around! FDOT seeking ways to alert wrong-way drivers633 Views
- Elderly woman destroys newly poured road465 Views