Oakland Bay Bridge: Open Again—and Finally Done!
The main thoroughfare to get across the bay from San Francisco to Oakland, California, had been completely closed since Wednesday, August 28, so the final touches could be finished on the new 2.2-mile span from Oakland to Yerba Buena Island on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.
The bridge rehab was a $6.4-billion project that was “marred by delays and cost overruns,” according to the Los Angeles Times report, and took more than a decade to complete.
To view construction cams of the project, go to baybridgeinfo.org/construction-cams.
And be sure to check out these Bay Bridge-related stories:
- Bike and pedestrian path opens on San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge
- VIDEO: San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge opens on Labor Day
- VIDEO: Crews construct world’s largest self-anchored suspension bridge
- San Francisco-Oakland: Troubled bridge over water
- Bay Bridge self-anchored suspension structure redesign protects against environmental stress