Most obvious job creation generator: Multi-year highway and transit bill, says ARTBA
Tina Grady Barbaccia | June 17, 2011
American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) Senior Vice President of Communications & Marketing Matt Jeanneret released the following statement regarding Rep. Eric Cantor’s June 10 Memo on the House Calendar & Job Creation:
“House Majority Leader Eric Cantor wins the latest ‘Pothole of the Week Award’ for his June 10 memo ‘Summer Floor Schedule for America’s Job Creators.’
“The U.S. construction industry is reeling with more than 16 percent unemployment, and American businesses and motorists continue traveling on crumbling roads and bridges.
“However, nowhere in his five-page memo does Rep. Cantor even mention the most obvious job creation generator pending before Congress: passage of a multi-year highway and transit bill.
“Several June 13 opinion pieces in “The Washington Post” and the “Wall Street Journal” from the chief executives of GE and American Express, a former U.S. treasury secretary, and a leading national newspaper columnist all reach the same conclusion: new investments in infrastructure will create jobs and boost U.S. competitiveness.
“If Rep. Cantor really wants to be a ‘job creator,’ then he should get to work and lead the charge this summer in passing the 20-month overdue surface transportation authorization bill.”
MORE FROM eRoadPro Newsletter
- Road worker crushed and killed by concrete lane barrier272 Views
- Cincinnati bridge collapse kills construction worker, injures truck driver263 Views
- No charges filed after woman kills construction worker257 Views
- Obama calls for 'bipartisan infrastructure plan,' doesn't mention gas tax increase131 Views
- Ohio worker’s death creates urgency on inspecting NJ bridges117 Views