Mica's "back-of-the-envelope" bill is here
John Latta | July 7, 2011
House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee chairman John Mica has just ended a two-hour webcast introduction of the $230B, six-year bill that he wants to replace SAFETEA-LU. Now I have to go through the bill itself to find the details.
His core points were that this is a six year bill because a two year bill that some people want (including some powerful Democrat Senators) would “bankrupt the Highway Trust Fund” and that while it comes to about $35B a year on paper the actual value is “more than twice that.” The number he used was $75.5B. That figure, he said, came from his doing some quick math , back-of-the envelope style.
Let’s see what a reading of it will bring.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- Congress passes spending bill; cuts billions from federal construction accounts556 Views
- Maintaining America’s most historic tourist routes547 Views
- Tappan Zee bridge construction shut down after silos collapse493 Views
- Last second Christmas gift ideas for highway and bridge construction workers141 Views
- With no plans to raise gas tax, Alabama will rely on 2015 bond issue for road projects75 Views