Louisiana DOTD to cease LA Swift operations
Amanda Bayhi | June 10, 2013
The program, known as LA Swift, was created in 2005 as a temporary option to help citizens who were affected by Hurricane Katrina to travel between the two cities. The service was funded by both a Federal Transit Association (FTA) grant and a $5 passenger charge per one-way trip.
The service would have cost approximately $750,000 each year in local funds to continue after a decrease in federal funding. Louisiana lawmakers have not found a way to raise those funds, even with an fare increase.
For more information, visit laswift.com.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Road worker killed while picking up construction cones1243 Views
- 4 dead after semi hits stopped vehicles1053 Views
- The state with the best roads in the country is...771 Views
- Several deficiencies exposed in Skagit River Bridge collapse751 Views
- 3 tips for staying safe inside road construction work zones518 Views