Long-awaited project on Texas State Highway 183 to begin this year
Amanda Bayhi | May 30, 2014
A long-anticipated overhaul project on State Highway 183 in Texas is slated to begin this year, The Dallas Morning News reports.
The project, which is part of an $847.6 million contract the Texas Transportation Commission awarded Thursday to Southgate Mobility Partners, will expand the major highway. It includes:
Upgrades to State Highway 114, State Highway 183 and Loop 12
Rebuilding 12.1 miles in Irving, Dallas and Euless
An additional 18.3-mile express toll lane in each direction from State Highway 121 in Bedford to Interstate 35E in Dallas
A 2.5-mile express toll lane on Loop 12
A 10.5-mile express toll lane on State Highway 114
The addition of direct connections from the toll lanes on State Highway 183 to Loop 12
Construction of new direct ramps from eastbound State Highway 183 to northbound Loop 12 and from southbound Loop 12 to westbound State Highway 183
The Dallas Morning News notes that toll prices will fluctuate depending on congestion, with a goal of keeping traffic moving at least 50 mph.
The project marks the first time since 1973 that the corridor has been upgraded. Construction is expected to be completed in 2018.
MORE FROM Featured Articles
- Report: Just 6 Percent of 2013 federal-aid funding went into new roads & bridges392 Views
- 2014 Better Roads Bridge Inventory341 Views
- One killed, four injured after bridge collapses at college327 Views
- Highway Trust Fund: Who’s in and who’s out in next Congress234 Views
- Tracked electric vehicles the future of transportation?193 Views