Local governments get creative with speeding fines
When is a $70 speeding ticket not a $70 speeding ticket? When it turns into a $700 ticket and the speeder is paying for way more than a lead foot. It seems cash-strapped local governments have gotten way more creative as they look for money from your pockets.
There was a story not too many years ago that journalists trying to keep tabs on local government budgets (and mind you this was in what we used to call the ‘good times’) would check to see if libraries were aggresively collecting late fees. It seems this is what many local governments would do when they were a little short.
Now its the expanding-speeding-ticket move. Check out this AP story.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- Sydney uses water curtains to alert drivers to stop (VIDEO)817 Views
- Obama signs memorandum to expedite infrastructure projects631 Views
- Florida’s Red Light Camera Game: G R E E N orange R E D339 Views
- Big four cellphone companies jointly launch anti-texting campaign267 Views
- Fifty cents on the dollar for Illinois roads267 Views