Local governments get creative with speeding fines
John Latta | March 22, 2010
When is a $70 speeding ticket not a $70 speeding ticket? When it turns into a $700 ticket and the speeder is paying for way more than a lead foot. It seems cash-strapped local governments have gotten way more creative as they look for money from your pockets.
There was a story not too many years ago that journalists trying to keep tabs on local government budgets (and mind you this was in what we used to call the ‘good times’) would check to see if libraries were aggresively collecting late fees. It seems this is what many local governments would do when they were a little short.
Now its the expanding-speeding-ticket move. Check out this AP story.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- 4 dead after semi hits stopped vehicles1023 Views
- Road worker killed while picking up construction cones915 Views
- Several deficiencies exposed in Skagit River Bridge collapse758 Views
- 3 tips for staying safe inside road construction work zones391 Views
- Can you believe how much bad roads cost Texas drivers?303 Views