Local governments get creative with speeding fines
When is a $70 speeding ticket not a $70 speeding ticket? When it turns into a $700 ticket and the speeder is paying for way more than a lead foot. It seems cash-strapped local governments have gotten way more creative as they look for money from your pockets.
There was a story not too many years ago that journalists trying to keep tabs on local government budgets (and mind you this was in what we used to call the ‘good times’) would check to see if libraries were aggresively collecting late fees. It seems this is what many local governments would do when they were a little short.
Now its the expanding-speeding-ticket move. Check out this AP story.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- PHOTOS: Chevy unveils 2015 Colorado pickup, available fall 2014571 Views
- Proposed bill would raise federal gas tax by $0.15 for highway funding497 Views
- VIDEO: This concrete buffer is nearly unstoppable357 Views
- Construction industry avoids list of 10 worst jobs for the future329 Views
- With lack of transportation funding, highway contractors shift to other fields273 Views