John Deere releasing Interim Tier 4 retrofit kit in 2015 to allow machine sales to countries without USLD availability
Tina Grady Barbaccia | March 13, 2014
Starting in 2015, owners of John Deere Construction and Forestry Equipment will able to purchase a retrofit kit that will enable Interim Tier 4 (IT4) machines to be sold in countries where ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel is not available, the company announced on March 6 during ConExpo-Con/Agg 2014.
With limited availability of USLD in other countries – and some without any access to it – this has served as a barrier in both the new and the resale market for the machines.
The kit can be used on John Deere-powered crawler dozers, wheel loaders, articulated dump trucks, motor graders, excavators and backhoes.
The retrofit kit maintains engine reliability by disabling or removing sulfur sensitive components and systems and retains engine performance by using software recalibration and minimal hardware updates.
The kit is designed for fuel sulfur levels from 15 parts per million to well beyond 5,000 parts per million. ULSD is diesel fuel with 15 parts of sulfur per million or lower.
Lower-tired engines will still be offered for export to non-ULSD countries.
MORE FROM ConExpo-Con/Agg 2014
- VIDEO: CBS’s '60 Minutes' spotlights America's neglected infrastructure218 Views
- Tracked electric vehicles the future of transportation?172 Views
- Rollover accident caused from surprise gravel road144 Views
- Highway Trust Fund: Who’s in and who’s out in next Congress115 Views
- Don't drink and drive...especially your wheel loader!114 Views