Integral Abutment Bridges
Acknowledgments from the Author
This article is based upon the responses received from the following state departments of transportation: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming. Their help is gratefully acknowledged.
Amde M. Amde (formerly Amde M. Wolde-Tinsae) is a professor of structural engineering in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at University of Maryland. He is also a registered professional engineer and president of AMA & Associates. Other faculty positions held include Iowa State University and McMaster University. He holds two U.S. patents and has published more that 200 technical papers.
Andreas Paraschos is a professional engineer in the state of New York and a structural bridge engineer with the New York City Department of Transportation/ Division of Bridges.
1. Amde, A.M., Chini, S.A. and Mafi, M., “Experimental Study of Piles in Integral Abutment Bridges,” International Journal of Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 1997, Vol. 15, 343-355.
2. Amde, A.M. (Wolde-Tinsae, A.M.) and Klinger, J., The State-of-the-Art in Integral Abutment Bridge Design and Construction, AW087-313-046, FHWA/MD-87/07, January 1987, 70 pages.
3. Amde, A.M. (Wolde-Tinsae, A.M.), Klinger, J. and White, E.J., “Performance of Jointless Bridges,” Journal of the Performance of Constructed Facilities, ASCE, Vol. 2, No. 2, May 1988, pp. 111-125
4. Amde, A.M. (Wolde-Tinsae, A.M.) and Greimann, L., “General Design Details for Integral Abutment Bridges,” Journal of Civil Engineering Practice, BSCE/ASCE,ISSN: 0886-9685, Vol. 3, No. 2, Fall 1988, pp. 7-20.
5. Amde, A.M. (Wolde-Tinsae, A.M.), Greimann, L., and Johnson, B., “Performance of Bridge Abutments,” The Journal of the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering, IABSE PERIODICA 1/1983, pp. 17-34.
6. Amde, A.M. (Wolde-Tinsae, A.M.), Greimann, L.F., and Yang, P.S., “End Bearing Piles in Jointless Bridges,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 114, No. 8, August 1988, pp. 1870-1884.
7. Burke, M.P.,”Integral Bridges.” Transportation Research Record, No. 1275, 1990, pp. 53-61.
MORE FROM Better Bridges
- Sydney uses water curtains to alert drivers to stop (VIDEO)794 Views
- Obama signs memorandum to expedite infrastructure projects652 Views
- Florida’s Red Light Camera Game: G R E E N orange R E D399 Views
- Fifty cents on the dollar for Illinois roads274 Views
- FHWA deploys bridge-inspecting robots246 Views