Indiana DOT moves ahead with Cline Ave. bridge demo
Tina Grady Barbaccia | July 5, 2011
The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) is moving forward with demolition plans for the closed State Road 912 (Cline Avenue) bridge.
These plans include demolition of the elevated section of Cline Ave. scheduled for letting in November 2011.
“Since the Cline Ave. bridge closed, INDOT has been committed to working with the local community on a solution,” said INDOT LaPorte District Deputy Commissioner Mike McPhillips. “INDOT has a solution for the closed bridge utilizing Riley and Dickey roads with a non-bridge option. It serves the traffic needs and is the most cost effective solution for the taxpayers of Indiana.”
“INDOT was presented with an opportunity to rebuild the bridge with a financial contribution from Ameristar Casino,” added McPhillips. “We considered their proposal but it has not worked out and we must move forward with our commitment to Northwest Indiana to construct a solution.”
Demolition of the elevated section of the bridge will begin later this year. INDOT is moving forward with the design plans for the non-bridge solution and anticipates road construction starting in 2012.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Road worker crushed and killed by concrete lane barrier263 Views
- Cincinnati bridge collapse kills construction worker, injures truck driver259 Views
- No charges filed after woman kills construction worker210 Views
- Obama calls for 'bipartisan infrastructure plan,' doesn't mention gas tax increase127 Views
- VP Biden announces new steps to Build America Investment Initiative107 Views