Indiana DOT moves ahead with Cline Ave. bridge demo
The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) is moving forward with demolition plans for the closed State Road 912 (Cline Avenue) bridge.
These plans include demolition of the elevated section of Cline Ave. scheduled for letting in November 2011.
“Since the Cline Ave. bridge closed, INDOT has been committed to working with the local community on a solution,” said INDOT LaPorte District Deputy Commissioner Mike McPhillips. “INDOT has a solution for the closed bridge utilizing Riley and Dickey roads with a non-bridge option. It serves the traffic needs and is the most cost effective solution for the taxpayers of Indiana.”
“INDOT was presented with an opportunity to rebuild the bridge with a financial contribution from Ameristar Casino,” added McPhillips. “We considered their proposal but it has not worked out and we must move forward with our commitment to Northwest Indiana to construct a solution.”
Demolition of the elevated section of the bridge will begin later this year. INDOT is moving forward with the design plans for the non-bridge solution and anticipates road construction starting in 2012.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Obama signs memorandum to expedite infrastructure projects666 Views
- Florida’s Red Light Camera Game: G R E E N orange R E D392 Views
- Sydney uses water curtains to alert drivers to stop (VIDEO)389 Views
- Seattle tests bikes as disaster relief (VIDEO)330 Views
- FHWA deploys bridge-inspecting robots296 Views