Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn pushes to prioritize Illiana Expressway
Amanda Bayhi | May 27, 2014
Quinn wants the $1.5 billion project to be placed at the top of the funding list under a proposed bill that the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) is backing, according to the report. He has pushed for prioritizing the project since he took office in 2009.
Some lawmakers and regional planners have said the project is not an urgent need, and many critics are concerned that prioritizing the tollway project will be create a financial burden on the state.
Rep. Jack Franks (D-Ill.) said in the report that he is concerned all other projects would “take a backseat” to the tollway if it is prioritized.
Hower, Department spokesman Guy Tridgell told NBC Chicago that pushing the Illiana Expressway to the top of the list would not impact other projects to be funded.
The legislation that includes the funding list is expected to be introduced this week.
MORE FROM Featured Articles
- 4 dead after semi hits stopped vehicles1034 Views
- Several deficiencies exposed in Skagit River Bridge collapse769 Views
- Can you believe how much bad roads cost Texas drivers?307 Views
- VIDEO: Watch time-lapse of I-84 bridge replacement304 Views
- President Obama to urge for private investments292 Views