Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn pushes to prioritize Illiana Expressway
Amanda Bayhi | May 27, 2014
Quinn wants the $1.5 billion project to be placed at the top of the funding list under a proposed bill that the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) is backing, according to the report. He has pushed for prioritizing the project since he took office in 2009.
Some lawmakers and regional planners have said the project is not an urgent need, and many critics are concerned that prioritizing the tollway project will be create a financial burden on the state.
Rep. Jack Franks (D-Ill.) said in the report that he is concerned all other projects would “take a backseat” to the tollway if it is prioritized.
Hower, Department spokesman Guy Tridgell told NBC Chicago that pushing the Illiana Expressway to the top of the list would not impact other projects to be funded.
The legislation that includes the funding list is expected to be introduced this week.
MORE FROM Featured Articles
- Think you're a good driver? Try staying in these crooked lanes [VIDEO]914 Views
- Vehicles covered in oil and grime after construction project gone wrong847 Views
- Turn Around! FDOT seeking ways to alert wrong-way drivers633 Views
- VIDEO: Semi hauling an excavator plows through a guardhouse while pulling onto college campus383 Views
- How to become a more productive highway construction worker350 Views