I-40 West lane reopened in Tennessee
Tina Grady Barbaccia | February 8, 2012
One of two lanes of Interstate 40 West near the Tennessee-North Carolina border has been reopened following a Jan. 31 rockslide between mile markers 450 and 451, the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) said.
Workers are stabilizing the slope, TDOT said. A 1,500-ton boulder was removed that could have fallen on the roadway. A second phase to shore up the mountainside is expected to begin in late March, the department said.
Traffic has resumed after a second rockslide east on I-40 in North Carolina was cleared away over the weekend, the North Carolina Department of Transportation said.
MORE FROM eRoadPro Newsletter
- Firearms to be used for road construction775 Views
- Highway Trust Fund 2014: Timeline of Events689 Views
- POLL: Majority of Americans would rather pay tolls than taxes598 Views
- How two men avoided travel fees by outsmarting airlines536 Views
- VIDEO: Worker dangles from excavator hammer 100 feet up466 Views