I-40 West closed by rockslide in Tennessee
Tina Grady Barbaccia | February 1, 2012
Both lanes of Interstate 40 West near the Tennessee-North Carolina border have been closed Jan. 31 following a rockslide between mile markers 450 and 451, the Tennessee Department of Transportationm (TDOT) said.
Engineers are developing a plan to stabilize the mountainside, TDOT said. No estimate was given for when I-40 West will reopen.
To detour from North Carolina take I-240 West (exit 53B) in Asheville to I-26 West (exit 4A) to I-81 South (exit 8A) back to I-40 West. The detour route is about 53 miles.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Road worker killed while picking up construction cones1067 Views
- 4 dead after semi hits stopped vehicles1032 Views
- Several deficiencies exposed in Skagit River Bridge collapse736 Views
- 3 tips for staying safe inside road construction work zones456 Views
- Can you believe how much bad roads cost Texas drivers?309 Views