I-40 West closed by rockslide in Tennessee
Tina Grady Barbaccia | February 1, 2012
Both lanes of Interstate 40 West near the Tennessee-North Carolina border have been closed Jan. 31 following a rockslide between mile markers 450 and 451, the Tennessee Department of Transportationm (TDOT) said.
Engineers are developing a plan to stabilize the mountainside, TDOT said. No estimate was given for when I-40 West will reopen.
To detour from North Carolina take I-240 West (exit 53B) in Asheville to I-26 West (exit 4A) to I-81 South (exit 8A) back to I-40 West. The detour route is about 53 miles.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Several NMDOT employees fired following drunken party469 Views
- California to test feasibility of mileage tax247 Views
- Success regardless of gender: Kari Karst’s BX Civil & Construction209 Views
- MnDOT up a creek without a paddle due to mine expansion209 Views
- Highway and bridge construction starts on the rise in September179 Views