House approves $11 billion trust fund patch
Brian Ethridge | July 15, 2014
With time –and money – running out, the House recognizes that immediate action is needed. It voted 367-55 to pass the measure. The Senate is also expected to pass the bill before it arrives on President Barack Obama’s desk.
All parties hope to have the legislation in place before payments from the fund to states begin to slow on Aug. 1.
“It’s time to act now,” House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp, a Michigan Republican, said during debate before the vote. “State transportation departments have already started delaying some projects.”
The plan passed by the House would pay for and extend current surface transportation repairs through May 31, 2015.
MORE FROM Featured Articles
- Man dies after pedestrian bridge collapses1023 Views
- Salt prices to hurt road budgets948 Views
- PHOTOS: Directional drill dives from trailer, dangles over Dallas freeway676 Views
- Are flying robots the future of road construction?638 Views
- Ohio to start largest single construction project in state history357 Views