House approves $11 billion trust fund patch
Brian Ethridge | July 15, 2014
With time –and money – running out, the House recognizes that immediate action is needed. It voted 367-55 to pass the measure. The Senate is also expected to pass the bill before it arrives on President Barack Obama’s desk.
All parties hope to have the legislation in place before payments from the fund to states begin to slow on Aug. 1.
“It’s time to act now,” House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp, a Michigan Republican, said during debate before the vote. “State transportation departments have already started delaying some projects.”
The plan passed by the House would pay for and extend current surface transportation repairs through May 31, 2015.
MORE FROM Featured Articles
- Maintaining America’s most historic tourist routes583 Views
- Congress passes spending bill; cuts billions from federal construction accounts536 Views
- Tappan Zee bridge construction shut down after silos collapse494 Views
- Last second Christmas gift ideas for highway and bridge construction workers148 Views
- With no plans to raise gas tax, Alabama will rely on 2015 bond issue for road projects76 Views