Better Roads Staff
Tom Brown’s Story
“One of the most concerning issues for contractors are the investments we make,” says Tom Brown, president of Sierra Pacific West and chairman of The Associated General Contractors of America’s highway and transportation division. “With little on the horizon for work it makes it extremely difficult to plan for our organizations. Purchasing of the new equipment probably is one of biggest concerns. We have decided to look at our long-term investments once the elections are over.
“We have continued our efforts to stay ahead as it relates to state of the art software involving our civil engineering portion of the company. Retaining good personnel has been a challenge in itself due to the lack of work within our industry.
“We have managed to stream line our corporate overhead thus allowing us to stay healthy,” says Brown. “As to looking for new ventures or work, we now find ourselves looking for work in other areas outside San Diego, something we really have not had to do for over 25 years.”
MORE FROM Highway Contractor
- Sydney uses water curtains to alert drivers to stop (VIDEO)823 Views
- Obama signs memorandum to expedite infrastructure projects588 Views
- Florida’s Red Light Camera Game: G R E E N orange R E D347 Views
- Acceptance of connected vehicles depends on cost, LaHood says259 Views
- FHWA deploys bridge-inspecting robots241 Views