Granite's Intercounty Constructors Joint Venture Northeast Region Best Project of 2011
Tina Grady Barbaccia | November 15, 2011
Intercounty Constructors, a joint venture comprising Granite Construction Co., Corman Construction, and G.A. & F.C. Wagman, has been chosen by Engineering News Record (ENR) as the Northeast Region Best Project of 2011 for their successful completion of Maryland’s Intercounty Connector Contract A (ICC-A) Project.
The joint venture constructed the westernmost 7.2 miles of the ICC/MD 200, which opened on February 22, 2011. The ICC is Maryland’s first electronic toll road; it connects I-370 at Shady Grove and MD 97 (Georgia Avenue) in Rockville/Olney to I-95.
Project scope includes the construction of approximately 7 miles of six-lane divided highway, the relocation of five local roadways, the construction/reconstruction of three interchanges, seven dual bridges, 11 single bridges, four bridge widenings, and a 610-foot deck-over structure.
The work incorporated about 650,000 square yards of paving and 2.4 million cubic yards of earthwork, plus drainage, structures, maintenance and protection of traffic, signing, lighting, signalization, striping, electronic toll collection, an intelligent transportation system, fencing, barriers, guardrail, landscaping, and utility relocations. The project demanded immense environmental sensitivity and extensive community outreach.
ENR annually recognizes the nation’s best construction projects and companies. The Northeast Region is composed of 10 states, and ICC-A was one of 98 entries.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Maintaining America’s most historic tourist routes604 Views
- Congress passes spending bill; cuts billions from federal construction accounts542 Views
- Tappan Zee bridge construction shut down after silos collapse497 Views
- Last second Christmas gift ideas for highway and bridge construction workers161 Views
- With no plans to raise gas tax, Alabama will rely on 2015 bond issue for road projects76 Views