GAO report: States received more highway money than contributed
Tina Grady Barbaccia | November 1, 2011
The House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure reports that during the course of the last multi-year surface transportation authorization, better known as SAFETEA-LU, from 2005 to 2009, every state received more funding for highway programs than what they contributed to the Highway Trust Fund (HTF), according to a Government Accountability Office (GAO) report.
The report was requested by U.S. Rep. Nick J. Rahall (D-W.V.), top Democrat on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.
MORE FROM Economics
- Highway Trust Fund: Who’s in and who’s out in next Congress225 Views
- Tracked electric vehicles the future of transportation?209 Views
- VIDEO: CBS’s '60 Minutes' spotlights America's neglected infrastructure202 Views
- Rollover accident caused from surprise gravel road138 Views
- Don't drink and drive...especially your wheel loader!114 Views