GAO report: States received more highway money than contributed
Tina Grady Barbaccia | November 1, 2011
The House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure reports that during the course of the last multi-year surface transportation authorization, better known as SAFETEA-LU, from 2005 to 2009, every state received more funding for highway programs than what they contributed to the Highway Trust Fund (HTF), according to a Government Accountability Office (GAO) report.
The report was requested by U.S. Rep. Nick J. Rahall (D-W.V.), top Democrat on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.
MORE FROM Economics
- Several NMDOT employees fired following drunken party469 Views
- California to test feasibility of mileage tax247 Views
- MnDOT up a creek without a paddle due to mine expansion212 Views
- Highway and bridge construction starts on the rise in September179 Views
- PHOTOS: Most gorgeous freeway ever?148 Views