GAO report: States received more highway money than contributed
Tina Grady Barbaccia | November 1, 2011
The House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure reports that during the course of the last multi-year surface transportation authorization, better known as SAFETEA-LU, from 2005 to 2009, every state received more funding for highway programs than what they contributed to the Highway Trust Fund (HTF), according to a Government Accountability Office (GAO) report.
The report was requested by U.S. Rep. Nick J. Rahall (D-W.V.), top Democrat on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.
MORE FROM Economics
- Firearms to be used for road construction789 Views
- Highway Trust Fund 2014: Timeline of Events693 Views
- POLL: Majority of Americans would rather pay tolls than taxes608 Views
- How two men avoided travel fees by outsmarting airlines564 Views
- VIDEO: Worker dangles from excavator hammer 100 feet up476 Views