GAO report: States received more highway money than contributed
Tina Grady Barbaccia | November 1, 2011
The House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure reports that during the course of the last multi-year surface transportation authorization, better known as SAFETEA-LU, from 2005 to 2009, every state received more funding for highway programs than what they contributed to the Highway Trust Fund (HTF), according to a Government Accountability Office (GAO) report.
The report was requested by U.S. Rep. Nick J. Rahall (D-W.V.), top Democrat on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.
MORE FROM Economics
- Wrongly fired DOT employees return to work1475 Views
- Highway users, road builders oppose bill to surrender federal highway authority823 Views
- New use of carbon fiber grid in precast concrete piles710 Views
- Tolling becoming the solution of choice for most Americans520 Views
- Construction error and weather causes new pavement to crumble within hours503 Views