Dutch moving to VMT system
John Latta | November 17, 2009
Is this our future?
A story out of Holland says the Dutch are doing away with sales taxes on new vehicles and road taxes and moving to a VMT system, paying 7 cents a mile based on GPS tracking of their vehicle’s movements — with surcharges for driving in crowded areas or rush hours.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- Report: Just 6 Percent of 2013 federal-aid funding went into new roads & bridges381 Views
- 2014 Better Roads Bridge Inventory339 Views
- One killed, four injured after bridge collapses at college327 Views
- Highway Trust Fund: Who’s in and who’s out in next Congress232 Views
- Tracked electric vehicles the future of transportation?186 Views