Dutch moving to VMT system
John Latta | November 17, 2009
Is this our future?
A story out of Holland says the Dutch are doing away with sales taxes on new vehicles and road taxes and moving to a VMT system, paying 7 cents a mile based on GPS tracking of their vehicle’s movements — with surcharges for driving in crowded areas or rush hours.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- 5 freeway bridges in need of repair following accident947 Views
- What state has the worst roads and bridges in the country?569 Views
- VIDEO: With streaking flash of explosives, mile-long bridge collapses in 3 seconds562 Views
- VIDEO: Massive steel beam falls off trailer, snatches semi truck onto its side529 Views
- 70-foot-long bridge survives series of earthquakes457 Views