Dutch moving to VMT system
John Latta | November 17, 2009
Is this our future?
A story out of Holland says the Dutch are doing away with sales taxes on new vehicles and road taxes and moving to a VMT system, paying 7 cents a mile based on GPS tracking of their vehicle’s movements — with surcharges for driving in crowded areas or rush hours.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- VIDEO: Could ‘Beer Money’ help solve our infrastructure problem?432 Views
- Shuster, Boxer say highway bill is about jobs394 Views
- DOT report: $123.7 billion needed to maintain, improve highways, bridges193 Views
- Obama proposes $302 billion, 4-year reauthorization bill, announces availability of $600 million in TIGER grants174 Views
- DOT seeks innovative transportation tools153 Views