DOT evaluating sinkhole in Georgia
Brian Ethridge | August 15, 2014
The Georgia Department of Transportation is evaluating a sinkhole that suddenly opened in a parking lot on John Morrow Parkway at Pearl Nix Parkway in Gainesville.
The sinkhole is approximately 12 feet wide and about 20 feet deep.
Georgia DOT is closely evaluating the sinkhole because it could have an impact on traffic in the area. Access to the Barry Menswear/Curves shopping center from Pearl Nix Parkway is now closed, but the access from SR 53 Connector/John Morrow Parkway is currently open.
“We are in the early stages of evaluating the damage to the roadway. We will develop a repair plan and projected timeline as the extent of damage is determined. Please avoid the area if possible,” Georgia DOT District Engineer Bayne Smith said in a statement.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- No charges filed after woman kills construction worker270 Views
- Ohio worker’s death creates urgency on inspecting NJ bridges237 Views
- Boehner discusses Highway Trust Fund on 60 Minutes213 Views
- NAPA announces winners of national paving awards126 Views
- Fingers crossed: Senate highway bill could be unveiled soon117 Views