Construction worker killed in Alabama work zone crash
Amanda Bayhi | May 2, 2014
A construction worker died early Friday morning after a vehicle struck him in a highway work zone in Hoover, Alabama, AL.com reports.
The incident occurred on Interstate 459, the location of an Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) paving project.
AL.com reports that the victim was working in the center northound lane when an elderly man struck the construction worker and left the scene.
The report comes just weeks after National Work Zone Awareness Week, during which transportation agencies and highway advocates promoted awareness of highway construction zones and the workers in them.
The report notes that as of Friday afternoon, the crash was still under investigation.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- 5 freeway bridges in need of repair following accident1008 Views
- 4 dead after semi hits stopped vehicles896 Views
- Several deficiencies exposed in Skagit River Bridge collapse704 Views
- VIDEO: Massive steel beam falls off trailer, snatches semi truck onto its side580 Views
- Traffic deaths down nearly 23 percent since 2005341 Views