Construction worker killed in Alabama work zone crash
Amanda Bayhi | May 2, 2014
A construction worker died early Friday morning after a vehicle struck him in a highway work zone in Hoover, Alabama, AL.com reports.
The incident occurred on Interstate 459, the location of an Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) paving project.
AL.com reports that the victim was working in the center northound lane when an elderly man struck the construction worker and left the scene.
The report comes just weeks after National Work Zone Awareness Week, during which transportation agencies and highway advocates promoted awareness of highway construction zones and the workers in them.
The report notes that as of Friday afternoon, the crash was still under investigation.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Think you're a good driver? Try staying in these crooked lanes [VIDEO]915 Views
- Vehicles covered in oil and grime after construction project gone wrong840 Views
- How to avoid highway work zone injuries and deaths745 Views
- Turn Around! FDOT seeking ways to alert wrong-way drivers633 Views
- VIDEO: Semi hauling an excavator plows through a guardhouse while pulling onto college campus422 Views