Bridges are strange, when you're a stranger
John Latta | November 6, 2009
They call them the world’s 18 strangest bridges. Maybe if you travel them daily you wouldn’t think twice. But for the rest of us…..
Bridges tend to be designed and built with utility foremost in mind, says Popular Mechanics magazine. OK, we know that. But wait, it’s not a statement meant to impress, it’s an introduction to some wonderful bridges where utility had to share the major billing.
The mag goes on to point out that, “advances in design software and construction materials have given bridge architects opportunities to focus on original, striking and sometimes whimsical designs that impress, while keeping function in mind. Here are some of our favorite unusual bridges and why they’re architecturally striking.”
Check out 18 suprising bridges in the Popular Mechanics story.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- 5 freeway bridges in need of repair following accident856 Views
- What state has the worst roads and bridges in the country?552 Views
- VIDEO: With streaking flash of explosives, mile-long bridge collapses in 3 seconds533 Views
- VIDEO: Massive steel beam falls off trailer, snatches semi truck onto its side459 Views
- 70-foot-long bridge survives series of earthquakes445 Views