Bridges are strange, when you’re a stranger
John Latta | November 6, 2009
They call them the world’s 18 strangest bridges. Maybe if you travel them daily you wouldn’t think twice. But for the rest of us…..
Bridges tend to be designed and built with utility foremost in mind, says Popular Mechanics magazine. OK, we know that. But wait, it’s not a statement meant to impress, it’s an introduction to some wonderful bridges where utility had to share the major billing.
The mag goes on to point out that, “advances in design software and construction materials have given bridge architects opportunities to focus on original, striking and sometimes whimsical designs that impress, while keeping function in mind. Here are some of our favorite unusual bridges and why they’re architecturally striking.”
Check out 18 suprising bridges in the Popular Mechanics story.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- VIDEO: Watch these crews slide a half-mile, 30 million-pound bridge into place over the Ohio River465 Views
- What the latest Obamacare update means for your business377 Views
- 3 Ways to Avoid Heat-Related Illness285 Views
- PHOTOS, VIDEO: MoDOT employee finds a new way of transportation… skydiving260 Views
- Roundabouts And Intersections: Two Traffic Control Devices, Many Options255 Views