Bridges are strange, when you're a stranger
John Latta | November 6, 2009
They call them the world’s 18 strangest bridges. Maybe if you travel them daily you wouldn’t think twice. But for the rest of us…..
Bridges tend to be designed and built with utility foremost in mind, says Popular Mechanics magazine. OK, we know that. But wait, it’s not a statement meant to impress, it’s an introduction to some wonderful bridges where utility had to share the major billing.
The mag goes on to point out that, “advances in design software and construction materials have given bridge architects opportunities to focus on original, striking and sometimes whimsical designs that impress, while keeping function in mind. Here are some of our favorite unusual bridges and why they’re architecturally striking.”
Check out 18 suprising bridges in the Popular Mechanics story.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- Report: Just 6 Percent of 2013 federal-aid funding went into new roads & bridges363 Views
- 2014 Better Roads Bridge Inventory341 Views
- One killed, four injured after bridge collapses at college236 Views
- Highway Trust Fund: Who’s in and who’s out in next Congress234 Views
- Tracked electric vehicles the future of transportation?199 Views