Bridges are strange, when you're a stranger
John Latta | November 6, 2009
They call them the world’s 18 strangest bridges. Maybe if you travel them daily you wouldn’t think twice. But for the rest of us…..
Bridges tend to be designed and built with utility foremost in mind, says Popular Mechanics magazine. OK, we know that. But wait, it’s not a statement meant to impress, it’s an introduction to some wonderful bridges where utility had to share the major billing.
The mag goes on to point out that, “advances in design software and construction materials have given bridge architects opportunities to focus on original, striking and sometimes whimsical designs that impress, while keeping function in mind. Here are some of our favorite unusual bridges and why they’re architecturally striking.”
Check out 18 suprising bridges in the Popular Mechanics story.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- Congress passes spending bill; cuts billions from federal construction accounts554 Views
- Maintaining America’s most historic tourist routes543 Views
- Tappan Zee bridge construction shut down after silos collapse483 Views
- Last second Christmas gift ideas for highway and bridge construction workers137 Views
- With no plans to raise gas tax, Alabama will rely on 2015 bond issue for road projects74 Views