Advanced Imaging Capability Added to Leica ScanStation C10 and Cyclone v7.4
May 14th, 2012
Category: Laser Instruments and Systems
Leica Geosystems announces a faster, easier option for Leica ScanStation C10 laser scanner users to apply the brilliance of external camera imagery to laser scan point cloud data. The new option consists of a direct digital camera mount on the ScanStation C10 scanner and tight, automated integration of external camera images into the scanner’s onboard controller and data storage system. Cyclone v7.4 supports this new option.
ScanStation C10 users will continue to have the option of using the scanner’s convenient, embedded camera for taking precisely aligned, high-resolution digital pictures of the surrounding scene. Leica ScanStation C5’s with this internal camera option can also be used with the new external camera option.
Faster, Easier Workflow
With the growing popularity of powerful point cloud viewing software capabilities like TruView, Cyclone TruSpace, and fly-through movies, users are increasingly choosing to take advantage of the brilliance of high-end external camera imagery with point cloud data for highest viewer impact. The prior method of applying such external imagery was to (1) remove a scanner head from its tripod, (2) place a high-end camera on the same tripod, (3) take 360º full-dome pictures, and then (4) use third party software tools to apply the full dome imagery to the point cloud data. This process could be time consuming – adding as much as 15-30 minutes per scanner setup, largely in the office. The new integrated, automated external camera option slashes this total time to less than 5 minutes per setup. With dozens of setups/day typical, the new option saves many hours each day.
The new option also makes it easier to accurately align external camera imagery to point cloud data. New commands for the integrated, external camera option are in ScanStation C10 firmware v2.70.
The optional external camera support is for an 18 Megapixel Canon EOS 60D camera. An External Camera Mounting Kit includes a bracket for this camera that conveniently attaches to the ScanStation C10’s removable carry handle slot, plus a USB cable that connects the camera to the scanner for camera control from the scanner and for automatic image transfer.
Leica Cyclone v7.4 Features
In addition to supporting the new External Camera option, Cyclone 7.4 adds another useful point cloud display feature: “Gradient Display”. This feature provides users with several gradient display backgrounds for point clouds, such as a blue sky and brown ground in places where there is no point cloud data, thus making the appearance of point cloud data more familiar to new users.
Leica Geosystems – when it has to be right
With close to 200 years of pioneering solutions to measure the world, Leica Geosystems products and services are trusted by professionals worldwide to help them capture, analyze, and present spatial information. Leica Geosystems is best known for its broad array of products that capture accurately, model quickly, analyze easily, and visualize and present spatial information.
Those who use Leica Geosystems products every day trust them for their dependability, the value they deliver, and the superior customer support. Based in Heerbrugg, Switzerland, Leica Geosystems is a global company with tens of thousands of customers supported by more than 2,400 employees in 22 countries and hundreds of partners located in more than 120 countries around the world. Leica Geosystems is part of the Hexagon Group, Sweden.
All Laser Instruments and Systems:
- Leica RedLine
- Leica Powerblade
- Next Generation Laser Scanning Software From Leica Geosystems Adopts CAD-Like Familiarity for Ease of Use, Speedy Results
- Introducing Leica DISTO A8 The World™s First Hand Laser Measuring Tool with Digital Zoom and Integrated Tilt Sensor!
- Leica Geosystems New Roteo 35 Rotating Construction Laser Device Combines Precision with Simplicity
- Leica Geosystems Introduces the Leica DISTO D2, the World™s Smallest Laser Measurement Device
- Leica Geosystems Laser Scanner Takes on New York City
- Sokkia releases NET-AX series of automated total stations for 3D monitoring
- Sokkia CX total station series sets new standard for performance, security
- FC-120: Compact, powerful and affordable
- New Topcon laser adds value to visibility
- Topcon™s new laser scanner is affordable, perfect for field use
- Revolutionary asset mobile management tool
- Precision is key with two new grade lasers
- New laser family offers machine control upgrade path
- Trimble SPS730 and SPS930 Universal Total Stations
- Spectra Precision Laser Grade Laser Transmitters: Built for the Job Site
- Versatile Automatic Grade Lasers for Level, Grade and Vertical Alignment
- Spectra Precision Laser LL500
- Spectra Precision Laser LR30 Receiver
- Spectra Precision Laser CB30 Dual Control Box
- Spectra Precision Laser CB25 Control Box
- Trimble LR400 for laser based display systems
- Trimble Announces Enhancements to the Trimble FX 3D Laser Scanner Increases Range of High Accuracy 3D Laser Scanner for Industrial Plant Applications
Manufacturers of Laser Instruments and Systems:
The appearance of advertisements and product information on this site does not constitute an endorsement by Better Roads Magazine, and Better Roads Magazine has not investigated the claims made by any advertiser. Product information is based solely on material received from suppliers.
- VIDEO: Watch these crews slide a half-mile, 30 million-pound bridge into place over the Ohio River628 Views
- 5 Options for Avoiding Highway Trust Fund Insolvency540 Views
- Foxx: Insolvent transportation system could cost 700k jobs398 Views
- What the latest Obamacare update means for your business372 Views
- U.S. DOT predicts August shortfall in latest Highway Trust Fund Ticker update341 Views