ARTBA’s Pete Ruane on TTI’s ‘Urban Mobility Report
Tina Grady Barbaccia | February 6, 2013
American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) President & CEO Pete Ruane released the following statement about the Texas Transportation Institute’s “Urban Mobility Report”:
“Washington, D.C., has the dubious distinction of being number one in two areas. It is the capital of partisan gridlock, and now traffic gridlock.
“The finding in the Texas Transportation Institute report that America’s transportation network is more unreliable isn’t a surprise to the millions of motorists who slog through bumper-to-bumper traffic in cities of all sizes, or to the businesses attempting to move their goods and services.
“The real news in the report is the projection that traffic congestion costs will balloon another 65 percent by 2020 if we maintain the status quo. The number of hours of lost time will also skyrocket 55 percent.
“While we may have to accept deadlocked politicians, there are ways to get Americans moving again. Robust new investments aimed at creating additional highway and public transit capacity, and providing more travel options could help accelerate economic recovery and better prepare the nation for the 21st century mobility challenges that come with it.”
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Oklahoma DOT looks to Caltrans for bridge assessment advice360 Views
- Obama to present Congress with proposed transportation reauthorization bill360 Views
- PHOTOS, VIDEO: MoDOT employee finds a new way of transportation… skydiving346 Views
- 3 Ways to Avoid Heat-Related Illness296 Views
- Roundabouts And Intersections: Two Traffic Control Devices, Many Options289 Views