ARTBA presents three contractors with national safety awards
Amanda Bayhi | September 18, 2013
The American Road & Transportation Builders Association’s Transportation Development Foundation (ARTBA-TDF) last week recognized three transportation construction industry firms for their worker safety programs.
ARTBA-TDF presented contractors from New Jersey, Florida and California with its Contractor Safety Awards during the association’s national convention September 9 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
The foundation selected six finalists based on their OSHA recordable rates that were below the industry average and their low workers’ compensation experience modifier rates. A panel of judges selected the winners based on corporate safety culture, operational safety plans and worker training programs.
ARTBA-TDF categorized the winners according to the number of employee hours worked during the previous year:
500,000 or fewer hours: Tilcon, Inc., Wharton, New Jersey
500,001 to 1,000,000 hours: Superior Construction Company Southeast, Jacksonville, Florida
More than 1 million hours: Granite Construction Company, Watsonville, California
ARTBA-TDF’s Contractor Safety Awards is a program designed to promote worker safety and health as core values of the transportation design and construction industry.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- Congress passes spending bill; cuts billions from federal construction accounts526 Views
- Tappan Zee bridge construction shut down after silos collapse382 Views
- Construction worker stops wrong way driver, avoids potential disaster116 Views
- Alerting Congress: Most jobs created by transportation investment occur in non-construction sectors90 Views
- President Obama calls America's transportation infrastructure 'embarrassing'81 Views