ARTBA on Speaker John Boehner’s opinions on gas prices, jobs
Tina Grady Barbaccia | May 26, 2011
American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) Spokesman Matt Jeanneret issued the following statement in response to comments from Speaker John Boehner about gas prices and jobs.
“Speaker Boehner wins the ‘Pothole of the Week’ award. His statement today [May 25] blasting a long-time transportation leader in Congress for suggesting it might be time after 18 years to consider a small increase in the federal gas tax to pay for highway and mass transit improvements — saying it would be a ‘job destroyer’ — is hypocritical.
“The House passed FY 2012 Ryan budget resolution would cut federal transportation investment next year by 30 percent, including up to a $14 billion cut in aid to the states for highway improvements. That would be a guaranteed job killer in the construction industry that’s already struggling with 17 percent unemployment.
“If the Speaker wants to protect jobs — and maybe even create some new ones — he should lead the charge in passing the 20-month delayed highway and transit bill.”
MORE FROM eRoadPro Newsletter
- VIDEO: Watch these crews slide a half-mile, 30 million-pound bridge into place over the Ohio River619 Views
- 5 Options for Avoiding Highway Trust Fund Insolvency548 Views
- Foxx: Insolvent transportation system could cost 700k jobs395 Views
- What the latest Obamacare update means for your business365 Views
- U.S. DOT predicts August shortfall in latest Highway Trust Fund Ticker update336 Views