APWA Names 2011 National Top Ten Public Works Leaders
The American Public Works Association (APWA) has named its Top Ten Public Works Leaders of the Year for 2011.
Marking the 51st anniversary of the award, the honor is among the most coveted and prestigious presented by APWA. Each Top Ten Public Works Leader will be recognized at a local, community‐oriented event, as well as during the Awards Ceremony as part of APWA’s International Public Works Congress & Exposition in Denver, Colorado during Sept. 18‐21, 2011.
“The selection of the most outstanding public works leaders from the U.S. and Canada is the capstone
of APWA’s National Public Works Week celebrations,” said APWA Executive Director Peter B. King.
“The Top Ten Public Works Leaders are selected by a committee of peers for their career‐long professionalism, expertise, service and personal dedication to improving the quality of life in the communities they serve. This year’s Top Ten list includes Directors of Public Works, Operations, Water Utilities, and Transportation from municipalities across North America, who represent the best of the public works profession, and they are extremely worthy of this high honor,” said King.
Award recipients include the following:
• Carl R. Dawson, Jr., P.E. – Director of Public Works, City of Raleigh, North Carolina.
• Mike Eastling, P.E. – Director of Public Works, City of Richfield, Minnesota.
• Julia Hunt, P.E. ‐ Director of Water Utilities, City of Arlington, Texas.
• John P. Lawlor, Jr. – Public Works Director, City of Waterbury, Connecticut.
• Mark V. Massaro, P.E. – Director of Public Works, Orange County Government,
• Gary M. Scheipeter, ‐ Public Works Superintendent, City of Clayton, Missouri.
• Teresa Scott, P.E. – Public Works Director, City of Gainesville, Florida.
• Jeffrey M. Smith, P.E. – City Engineer, City of Peoria, Illinois.
• Christine Walsh, Director of Operations, City of Beloit, Wisconsin.
• Jerry Way, Director of Transportation, City of Sacramento, California.
To see the Top Ten recipients from 1960 to 2010, go to APWA’s National Awards Program Web page at www.apwa.net/About/awards.asp?Display=top10list.
MORE FROM News & Analysis
- PHOTOS: Chevy unveils 2015 Colorado pickup, available fall 20141017 Views
- With lack of transportation funding, highway contractors shift to other fields348 Views
- 25 Days of RollOuts: Cat Introduces Four New D Series Skid Steers268 Views
- Ford starts production of F-150 with CNG266 Views
- Construction industry avoids list of 10 worst jobs for the future265 Views