AEM: 'President’s Budget Only a Beginning'
Tina Grady Barbaccia | February 16, 2011
Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM) President Dennis Slater issued the follow statement today in response to the President’s budget proposal:
“President Obama’s transportation budget proposal is a good start, as it recognizes that rebuilding and modernizing roads, bridges, and other critical infrastructure would create American jobs and make our nation more competitive with other countries. Unfortunately, however, the proposal falls short by not addressing the crucial issue of how this essential infrastructure investment will be funded, putting in question whether it will ever be approved.
“A long-term transportation policy for the country requires both bipartisan leadership and action. We hope that the budget released yesterday by the White House is an indication that President Obama intends to provide that leadership, and America’s equipment manufacturers stand ready to help. Repairing unsafe roads and bridges and building a surface transportation framework that creates jobs and makes America more competitive is an urgent national priority that cannot wait.”
MORE FROM Economics
- 5 freeway bridges in need of repair following accident933 Views
- What state has the worst roads and bridges in the country?564 Views
- VIDEO: With streaking flash of explosives, mile-long bridge collapses in 3 seconds559 Views
- VIDEO: Massive steel beam falls off trailer, snatches semi truck onto its side514 Views
- 70-foot-long bridge survives series of earthquakes455 Views