5 Reasons to Look for a New Job
Lauren Heartsill Dowdle | April 10, 2014
We’ve all had that job that makes us dread getting up in the morning — and some of us are still in it.
But, what makes us dislike our work so much? In my experience, it isn’t the money. Of course, everyone wants a bigger salary, but lack of funds doesn’t make someone despise a place as much as these five things.
Related: You shouldn’t be a roadbuilder if…
(And for leaders, these are things you should avoid to keep the best employees.)
1. Bad coworkers. You spend more time with the people at your job than you do with your family, at times. So, if you’re surrounded by poisonous people, it can start to affect how you feel about your job. When their behaviors aren’t addressed, this can also make you doubt your manager and the company’s values as a whole.
2. Horrible manager. When a manager treats their employees differently, micromanages workers, doesn’t promote a healthy work/life balance and doesn’t lead by example, it can be difficult for employees to respect them. Having respect for their boss is an important part of liking a job.
3. No respect. You bust your butt day in and day out, but no one pays you attention. Most people don’t want a pat on the back, but they do want to be valued for what they do.
4. Unreasonable expectations. Everyone wants to be challenged, but not to the point where a goal is unattainable. If you’re constantly behind, no matter what you do, you’ll eventually give up.
5. Can’t move up. You need to have something to strive toward every day. So, if you’re in a dead-end job with no chance of advancement, that can limit your drive. Employers should make it clear what it will take for you to move up.
If it sounds like I’m describing your job, it’s time for you to find something that will make you happy. It can be a daunting task, especially with the economy, but there’s no reason to hate what you do. Life’s too short.
Editor’s note: Lauren Heartsill Dowdle is editor-at-large for sister site Total Landscape Care.
MORE FROM The Roadologist
- 5 freeway bridges in need of repair following accident1004 Views
- 4 dead after semi hits stopped vehicles792 Views
- Several deficiencies exposed in Skagit River Bridge collapse656 Views
- VIDEO: Massive steel beam falls off trailer, snatches semi truck onto its side578 Views
- Traffic deaths down nearly 23 percent since 2005340 Views